Tuesday, 12 December 2017

Fabric SCrap Book 1

I've made three fabric books to use up some of my old samples and I've given them to my arty friends as gifts. So basically they are books of my old crap, which is stuff I didn't want to throw out but I also didn't want to leave in a drawer forever.

The inside cover is a piece of hand painted and stamped fabric. 
On the other side is fabric which was printed on an inkjet. I took the design from a photo of a tile at the Alhambra. I sewed on the metal decoration from my stash.

The next page has been printed with string or cord. I've added stitching to enhance.
Then a page with a background printed from wallpaper rubbing. There is a sample of a flower which was free machine embroidered done on water soluble stabiliser. Also some dyed lace and a small sample of smocking cut from something purchased.

The background fabric [thick coat fabric] behind the stitched  house [aida] has been screen printed plus ribbon and hand decorated fabric.
The circle - I used puff binder [expands when heated/ironed], paints then stitchery.


Different denims - sea, sky, boat. The hills are a handmade fabric -fabric scraps topped with sheer fabric.
Handmade paper with a painted layer of interfacing,then hand embroidered. A strip of fabric made by using transfer paints. Handmade art buttons.

I think I made a stencil for the flowers. Freehand machine stitched. For the strip at the bottom I used a Gelli Plate and stamps.
Machine stitched penguins with black fabric heads and painted feet and beaks. The lower strip is handmade paper - glued strips of paper, then stitched. 

Paper stencils, screen printed, the brighter parts painted by hand, machine stitched

Hand painted fabric plate, machine stitched. Stuffed spatula and egg yolk.
Distressed velvet [bleached and painted] Free machine embroidery. Found metal disc chain from stash.

Handmade fabrics - scraps and sheer, screen printed, devore.
Fabrics using resists, wax with found implements. Small fabric collage. Purchased butterfly.

The leaf is made from layers of sheer fabrics, net etc and machine stitched together. Behind that are  transfer crayon samples, one stitched then slashed.
On the other side there is applique and embroidery.

On the left are samples of embroidery [composite canvas stitches and open filling stitches]
On the right is a sample of rough edged mola

Small pieces of fabric overlapped and joined with decorative machine stitches.
Screen printed background. Freehand machine embroidery with metallic threads. The bird was a fabric gift from Australia.

The background fabric page was marbled.
The flower on the left was digitally printed on fabric made up from an original screen printed patterns, then machine stitched. The other sample is an attempt at machine smocking using decorative stitches on painted fabric.
The black samples on the right are a discharge printed sample and the lacy one is actually melted plastic with a black fabric background. Dyed and stitched leaves with recycled silk flowers.

Screen printed background fabrics.
The pinky sample is layered and distressed fabric [burnt with soldering iron with a net top layer embellished with sequins and stitched. An embroidered sample to the side. Handmade clay button and objects.
Screen printed New York scenes.

Layered squares of various fabrics.
Manipulated fabrics, some with wire.

Layers - Painted and stamped thick Vilene. Layered and distressed fabric [burnt with soldering iron with a net top layer embellished with embroidery.
Painted net from tiles.
Layered sheers and tree bark with embroidery.
Florentine embroidery.
And we are back to the inside cover which is a piece of hand painted and stamped fabric.
I used a book binding technique to join the pages together.


Sunday, 10 December 2017

Year of the Dog Fabric Design

I created the dog below on my Samsung tablet for a Spoonflower fabric design challenge.
I transferred it to my computer, changed colours and added a blocky background.


Wednesday, 6 December 2017

Monday, 4 December 2017

Sunflower Brooch

I made this brooch in memory of my lovely niece who sadly died recently. Sunflowers were one of her favourite flowers so I'll wear it at her funeral tomorrow. She died after a battle with cancer and had just turned 40 which is way to young to die.
I took all these photos at the same time in the same room, but in different places. I don't like the brooch that much from looking at the photos, I think it looks better in reality. [I hope]

I made it by drawing on Evolon [which does not fray], then painting it with Inktense Blocks and water. I stitched French knots in the middle then surrounded them with beads. I covered a round metal brooch finding [the type that has 2 parts to it -  back with pin and top sieve disc] with painted Evolon so none of the metal would show. I then glued the sunflower to it.


Thursday, 30 November 2017

Young Fox

More watercolour painting practice. This time I used a photo from a magazine to copy.